July 23, 2021
In this Issue
Here are some of the news articles we are following:
- Japanese PM Suga says world should see safe Olympics staged
- Guests leave Singapore cruise after nearly 3,000 confined onboard over COVID-19 case
- Chinese Cruise Brands Set for August Operations From Mainland China
- MSC and Scenic Cruises basing ships in Saudi Arabia this summer
- The World Expo, an exposition of culture and innovation, opens in Dubai on 1 October. The expo is set to run for 173 days.
- Disney and MSC Ships Leave on CDC Test Cruises
- Carnival Cruise Line to Bring Back More Ships in September and October
- No smoking: Carnival Cruise Line cracks down on lighting up
- Genting Hong Kong to build and manage cruise ships for hotel brands
- Opinion: Let the Games … Be Gone?
Cover Image by:
Photo by Martijn Baudoin on Unsplash
“The world is faced with great difficulties,” Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga told International Olympic Committee members in a closed-door meeting at a five-star hotel in Tokyo, adding “we can bring success to the delivery of the Games.”
“Such fact has to be communicated from Japan to the rest of the world,” Suga said through an interpreter. “We will protect the health and security of the Japanese public.”
Guests leave Singapore cruise after nearly 3,000 confined onboard over COVID-19 cas
The World Dream cruise liner had 1,646 passengers and 1,249 crew members on board and all, except essential service crew, had been required to remain in their staterooms with contactless meals sent to them, according to Dream Cruises, a part of Genting Cruise Lines.
Chinese Cruise Brands Set for August Operations From Mainland China
Astro Ocean Cruises and other China-flagged cruise brands are set to operate in August, as the Hainan Province has issued health and safety protocols for cruises to nowhere that will let ships operate starting August 1.
"Saudi Arabia will be one of the hottest tourist destinations in coming years, and we're very glad guests will get to experience it in 6-star comfort on board Scenic Eclipse," said Glen Moroney, chairman of Scenic Group.
The World Expo, an exposition of culture and innovation, opens in Dubai on 1 October. The expo is set to run for 173 days.
Event expected: Oct. 1, 2021
If approved, the Conditional Sailing Certificate allows a cruise ship to operate with less than 95 percent vaccinated guests aboard, which many cruise operators believe is needed to continue to appeal to families with children.
Carnival said in a press release it will continue to operate all its ships as vaccinated cruises through at least October.
Carnival Cruise Line recently took steps to further crackdown on smoking across its fleet by banning the practice during embarkation and in new casino spaces created exclusively for nonsmokers.
GHK-Genting Hong Kong announced plans to build and manage a series of newbuild cruise ships on behalf of world-renown hotel brands.
The Olympics are an easy target for criticism, never more than now. Do they still matter? Or have they lost their way and strayed from whatever ideals they purport to embody?
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the articles above are those of the authors' and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of this e-Newsletter
Having trouble reading?Download this Issue